7+ years experience on a variety of digital library projects including managing and implementing various online catalog and public access database systems for university libraries, providing planning support for delivery of digital journals, and working as an electronic reference consultant developing prototype expert systems and access to remote digital collections.
Founding Director American Library Association (ALA), Office for Information Technology Policy (OITP). Washington, D.C. June 1995 – October 1998.
(See Tech Policy.)
Special Assistant for Innovative Projects and Planning University of California at San Francisco (UCSF), Library and Center for Knowledge Management. San Francisco, California. September 1994 – May 1995.
- Led development and review of specifications for additional software functionality for web based medical campus knowledge management system.
- Assisted in technology planning and provided cost estimates for project with academic press publishers and software contractors to deliver digital medical journals.
Visiting Librarian, Electronic Reference Services Duke University, William R. Perkins Library. Durham, North Carolina. September 1989 – June 1990.
- Implemented Internet connection for reference staff to provide access to remote databases including Library of Congress digital collections.
- Developed prototype expert systems to assist the public service staff to identify and provide access to collection of British Parliamentary papers.
Systems Manager College of William and Mary, Earl Gregg Swem Library. Williamsburg, Virginia. September 1986 – July 1992.
- Managed the operation and overall growth of a library computing and telecommunications infrastructure providing near 24 x 7 access to library information for a campus of nearly 8000 students and 2000 faculty and staff; supervised 3 systems office computer specialists.
- Project managed rollout of public and technical service software and major computer center hardware migration. Prepared annual and biennial equipment, maintenance, and personnel budget.